The Old Stone House (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Stone_House_(Brooklyn,_New_York)is a historical site located in Washington Park(3rd Street at 5th ave.) in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The house played an important part in American History
On August 27 1776 the Old Stone House was a key location in The American Revolution. It is where The Battle of Brooklyn took place which was the largest battle of The Revolution. General George Washington's troops were surrounded on two sides and had no choice but to escape across a Brouwer' Mill Pond on The Gowanus Creek to Brooklyn Heights. 400 solders stayed behind to fight the British in front of The Old Stone House. They were to become known as the Maryland 400. Many Americans were lost on that day and the British took occupation of the house during the rest of the Revolutionary War.
In 1850 Jocques Cortelyou sold the the property to Edwin Litchfield and The Old Stone House was used as a clubhouse for the baseball team ,The Brooklyn Superbas who later became the Brooklyn Dodgers. The house was destroyed in 1897 and rebuilt in 1934 to what you see now using stone from the original sight.
This week(Aug.17-24) is Battle of Brooklyn Week. Check the old stone house website for details. for details
The museum is opened every Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am to 4:00pm or by appointment.
For more info go to www.theoldstonehouse.org Text and photographs by Scott Korn